Mad honey is an ingredient that has been known to mankind for years, all because of its sweet taste. But it also has inherent healing properties that have been used in the medicinal and therapeutic world to treat a variety of ailments.
The Power of Mad Honey
In the high ranges of mountains in Nepal, the Gurung community goes on a crucifying hunt to collect the world’s most unique honey - mad honey. Collected by the world's largest honey bee called Apis Dorsata Laboriosa. The honeybee is also known as the Giant Himalayan Bee.
It is also known as cliff honey, Bheer Maha, wild cliff honey, mad honey, and other names. It tastes different from conventional honey; it has a smokey flavour and the consistency of maple syrup. While consuming it, it may cause your throat to tingle for a while.
Mad honey is a sweet, viscous substance produced by the Giant Himalayan bees from the nectar of flowers, mainly rhododendron and sometimes other wildflowers.
It also has a variety of culinary uses, from sweetening tea and baked goods to glazing meats and vegetables. You can find the flavour of the mad honey varying sometimes, it is due to the season it has been hunted in.
The age of the honey affects both its flavour and colour of the honey. As a result, honey comes in a variety of colours, including red, dark brown, white crimson, etc. However, they are far superior with their unique flavour to other kinds of honey.
Nutritional Composition of Mad Honey
The exact composition of mad honey can vary depending on the species of rhododendron that the bees fed on and other factors. However, it typically contains a variety of sugars, organic acids, enzymes, amino acids, and other compounds found in normal honey.
What makes mad honey different is the presence of grayanotoxins, which are naturally occurring plant toxins that are produced by certain types of rhododendron plants and their specific location.
Mad Honey Psychedelic
Popularly known in the Global Market as the “ Mad Honey Psychedelic” due to its soothing and relaxing properties. It is believed to relax your stress and help you cope well with your anxiety and depression.
This property comes from the neurotoxin called grayanotoxin present in mad honey. Grayanotoxin is the compound that is behind the wonders of mad honey, it certainly makes this honey stand out amongst other types of honey.
After consuming mad honey, you become more aware of your actions and everything around you seems calming. People also share their experiences, where they witness the vivid colour saturation, the taste of the food becomes more clear and the food smells more prominent.
Some of the Psychedelic Effects of Erratic Honey are:
- It relaxes your body and frees you from your day-to-day problems and hustles. A momentary euphoria engulfs you since you observe the pleasant sensation in your body.
- It can improve your sleep cycle and sleep quality. You will be sound asleep only after twenty minutes of consuming it at night.
- Since you had a good night's sleep, your day will be more productive. Other than that, consuming it with your coffee or tea or juice can give you a boost of energy.
- You will soon begin to notice that your way of looking at life differs. You become more optimistic towards life and its problems. It gives you the clarity to deal with your situations.
- The creativity level increases incredibly, you become more sensitive to details and more attentive to minute concepts.
However, it is important to note that you shouldn't consume the standard limit of 1 tablespoon. And the effects might differ depending on the consumer’s overall diet, weight, height and tolerance to food.
Benefits of Mad Honey for Your Heath
Not only in culinary art, mad honey also has had a broad application in the medicinal field for a long time. In Ayurveda, honey is said to be balancing the Pitta energy(Dosha), which associates with heat and inflammation in the body. Therefore, natural honey has the power to cure different bodily and mental ailments.
The Seven Powerful Health Benefits of Mad Honey are:
- Aids in Weight Loss and Weight Maintenance: Mad honey contains macronutrients like protein and carbs that can offer you energy and aid in muscle recovery after exercise.
Also, it contains the micronutrients that balance your immune system and stave off disease, including vitamin B6, and vitamin C, and minerals like zinc, iron, and magnesium.
Take a tablespoon of mad honey before night as one of the quick weight-loss remedies. The liver produces glucose with the help of honey. This glucose keeps the blood sugar levels in the brain high by making the brain produce molecules that burn fat.
Moreover, you can use it in weight-loss recipes like oats, juices, salads as salad dressing, and smoothies.
Although it comes with sweetness, calories, and carbohydrates, it keeps you fuller for a longer time. However, it is important to note that losing overall weight comes with a lifestyle change. Therefore, to lose weight, you should consume honey and also work out for about 20-45 minutes 3-5 times a day per week.
- Boosts Immunity Power: As a result of the antioxidant present, they can boost your immune system and prepare you to battle the disease. A fantastic substance to stop any form of cell damage is antioxidants. You are less likely to be susceptible to sickness as a result of this prevention.
It also has minerals like potassium and calcium that promotes the normal levels of fluid of cells inside your body and builds muscles and bone respectively.
- Contains Low Glycemic Index: Because of its low glycemic index content, diabetics can use it as their guilt-free substitute for sugar in their delicious recipes.
And, if you are a sweet tooth that loves your sweets but you need to keep a watch on your daily sugar intake due to some fitness goals, then you can safely switch to mad honey. The sugar content in this honey is lower than the regular honey that you find in supermarkets.
- Promotes Respiratory Health: Bronchitis, asthma, and coughs have all been treated with mad honey in conventional medicine. In traditional medicine, mad honey was used to treat respiratory issues like bronchitis, asthma, and coughs.
Since ancient times, people have used honey as a home cure for sore throats and coughs. It's said to have calming characteristics that coat the throat as well as antibacterial qualities that can help fight infections.
- Repairs Skin Issues: Using honey tightens and smooths your skin. Use a mixture of turmeric powder, lemon juice, and mad honey on your face before bed if you have dry skin, then wash your face in the morning. You'll experience the magic firsthand.
It defends against cell deterioration and fights against anti-ageing because it contains vitamin C and antioxidants. Mad honey is a superb blend of enzymes and healthy substances that excels in the beauty industry.
Also, honey is an excellent scrub for your body and lips. Therefore, mix some honey, sugar, and coffee and use them as a natural exfoliator.
Furthermore, It has antibacterial characteristics that can quickly treat any serious wound. Also, you can use it as a wound dressing because it will quickly accelerate wound healing thanks to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial qualities.
- Enhances Gut Health: It has a probiotic component that makes it simple for your gut to digest food, which decreases bloating, stops diarrhoea, and makes indigestion more difficult. Moreover, it contains the beneficial bacteria known as gut flora, which promotes easy digestion.
A unique type of enzyme found in mad honey aids in the digestion of sugar and complex carbohydrates. Moreover, it contains a substance called methylglyoxal that treats any intestinal infection
- Increases Cardiovascular Health: Consuming honey in moderation might have a positive impact on your heart health and blood pressure levels. Antioxidants found in it can regulate cholesterol levels, lowering the likelihood of any cardiac damage. Also, it benefits your lungs by reducing the likelihood of lung congestion because of its antibacterial and antimicrobial qualities.